Sunday, October 20, 2013

The classroom of travel

Switzerland - Through the eyes of a traveler

I usually spend some time blogging about the trips we take, so all those in my large fan base can follow what we do.  I’m including these thoughts in my school blog, so my students can see what crazy things we run into while on international soil.  

Well, in all the miles I’ve logged on international airplanes, I witnessed my first medical emergency on the flight over.  I was moving between consciousness and sleep when I saw a man approaching the bathroom.  (for those of you who haven’t followed my travel escapades in the past, I always sit on the aisle and near the bathroom.  I’m a control freak and need to be able to control the number of times I get up to use the bathroom without feeling like I’m bothering someone.)  As I was watching this man, he reached for the door of the bathroom, fell to his knees and then onto his head.  I waited a split second, and then yelled “we need help back here” and pushed my attendant call button (which is no easy feat on these new fandangled electronic systems on each seat back.)  As fate would have it, he practically fell directly into a doctors lap - and he came to his rescue.  It was frightening at first, since (according to my seat back map screen television thingy) we were directly over the Atlantic - how exactly were we going to get this guy to safety?  They brought out oxygen, got him on his back and let him rest for a while.  Ultimately, it was a combination of dehydration and too many free drinks on the plane, with a history of cardiac problems.  Not too smart buddy.  

We deplaned in Amsterdam and I was surprised to see that they’ve updated the place since I was there last.  There is a new larger Starbucks (for all those American travelers who haven’t had a cup of joe since they left the states 8 hours ago) and some additional shops.  I stopped off in the bathroom, which would normally not be blog worthy, but as I was in line, I hear a soft, “Staffa?” from behind me.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, while I was wearing my brand new ‘Burnsville Staff‘ shirt, I was recognized by a parent of a former student.  That’s why my mom says you always have to be on your best behavior- which of course I was.

After landing in Zurich, I easily worked my way to the train platform and caught the first train into the city to the main train station.  A friend of mine recently pointed out that he happened to be very good at fishing, something he was proud of.  I happen to be very good at international travel - as evident in the smooth transition from plane to train to hotel.  I dropped my luggage off at the hotel and went wandering for a couple hours.  It was a good sleep that night as I’d been up for 36+ hours. 

I got up early the next morning and did a self guided walking tour of Zurich.  I was to meet my parents in Luzerne later that day, and wanted to take advantage of my short time in the big city.  I stopped in the large church that was said to have been founded by Charlemagne, saw a commemorative statue in the crypt, said a prayer and continued up to the tower.  There were spectacular views of lake Zurich and the whole of the city, on a nice clear day.  When I travel, I like to go by boat to see things, and also ‘up‘ in towers or look outs to see panoramas.  Consider one checked off in Zurich. 
Zurich from the cathedral tower

Lake Zurich

  I wandered the streets of old town, and came upon a very long line of people -- unusual I thought.  So, I decided to hop in the line and see what it was all about.  It led to a cog train that brought people to the top of the nearby hill where the university was located.  It was a 6 minute ride, that offered nice views of the city from the top.  After a short stroll, I got back on the train and headed back down to resume my walk.  I stopped in a couple of small churches, nice shops and an art gallery that featured a Hungarian artist - I could tell by the photos of the escalator at Deak Ter.  I had a nice chat with the gallery owner, who happened to be from Ohio, and asked about moving to the country for a teaching job.  Great conversation :)  


The cog train I took to the top of the hill 

I returned to the hotel to retrieve my baggage and went to the station to catch the train to Lucerne, Luzern-- however you want to call it.    

An hour later, I was in the main train station of Lucerne, heading out the door to meet my parents at their hotel.  There is a beautiful old town, and I got to parade through it with my luggage banging on the cobblestones in all my tourist glory.  What made me stick out as a tourist- the camera strapped around my neck?  The luggage announcing my every move with each bump on the street?  The pink travelers pillow strapped to my over the shoulder bag?  The lost look on my face?  Or the map in hand?  Take your pick - I stood out.  Whatever.  It’s part of the gig right?

I met my parents on the street just outside of our hotel, we dropped off my stuff and headed on our way.   



We headed out to the tourist shop to see what would be the best use of our time in terms of tours.  On our way, we spotted the tourist boat -- and incidentally with our Eurail and Swiss train passes, tickets were covered in the cost already.  As I pointed out before, I like to ride in boats and go up to see things.  So, we hopped on the boat, why not right?  Well, once we had pulled away, I thought it’d be a good idea to see exactly where this boat was going, as Lake Lucerne is quite large.  Turns out, we were on a 5.5 hour trip - one way.  Awesome sauce.  




There were stops so we were able to get off, and catch the next boat back to town- so all was not lost.  We were on a 1.5 hour round trip once we figured that step out -- much more feasible than a one way.  Additionally, it was the train we’d need to be on the next day so as to catch the train to the top of the local mountain - Rigi Kulm.  

We wandered back through the old town, did a bit of shopping and decided to get dinner.  Turns out, “fixed price menus” are all the rage - and the fixed price is higher than we were interested in spending.  We ended up leaving three restaurants before we found one that offered Swiss cuisine AND affordable prices.  Wouldn’t you know that the two couples at the table next to us were Americans, who hail from Eagan.  What are the odds?!  We had a great meal of fondue, sausage and schnitzel.  It was well worth the wait and it’s almost reasonable price.  



No comments:

Post a Comment