Sunday, October 27, 2013

This is for the birds.


The next day, we got up at a leisurely time as it was still overcast, and no real rush to go anywhere.  I tend to pack the days full with tours, activities, shopping and sightseeing.  My retired parents, would a.) rather stop and play with dogs he finds along the way- wouldn’t matter where he went or ended up -- or b.) look at decoratively packaged chocolates to give as gifts or re-create on her own -- are not usually ready for the days I have planned, so this stop in Lugano was more their speed.  

Looking for ideas for wrapping :)

admiring the produce

You can't  tell the slope of this street - but it was intense!


We had spotted a Dotto (tourist train - which are my favorite thing in life) the day before, and there was a boat cruise, so you guessed what was on my plan for the day.  We started off with the train after admiring the shops on our way down to the lake.  The tourist train was not fast, but brought you to both funiculars that went up to the mountains on either side of Lugano.  Since there was overcast weather, there was no need to go up the funicular, but the trip on the Dotto was wonderful.  



After finishing on the train, we returned to some of the places we’d passed while on the train, but this time we were prepared.  We had stopped at the grocery store and bought an ENTIRE loaf of bread for my dad to feed to the birds.  He had been looking forward to this activity since the night before.  We’d sworn we would remember to snag a roll from breakfast and bring it with, but we all forgot.  So, a trip to the grocery store was a necessity.  My dad rarely asks for anything while traveling, he just kind of follows in tow.  When he expressed an interest in connecting with the birds, we knew it was a must.  Since we had time before the boat came, it was perfect.  He was in his happy place - the best part of the trip for him thus far.  






The boat ride was nice.  It was a bit rainy still so we didn’t get off where we had originally planned, but that was okay.  We cruised around lake Lugano and got to admire the hillside homes and small villages each time asking, “how in the heck do they get there?”  There was no evidence of roadways connecting the different villages, so it must be by boat. 

Lugano



We had to stop at a grocery store to get food for the train ride the next day.  If we haven’t met, (though why would you be reading this if we hadn’t met) you don’t know that I’m a bit of a control freak.  I need to be able to have some semblance of control over when I can use the bathroom and when I can eat and drink.  As a result of this, I always have a snack in my bag for a day of touring, and I carry a plethora of beverages with me on public transportation-- many times with a sandwich just in case (it’s the inner Hungarian in me).  I also need to have a back up drink in case I finish the original drink - so I won’t be empty handed in case a situation may arise.  My mom said to me at the grocery store, “nothing looks appealing, I’ll just risk it” and I had a small heart murmur on the spot.  I quickly responded by packing the basket full of things as if the apocalypse were coming and I had to feed a family of 10 for the future.  She rolled her eyes and we headed home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment